2013 Editors' Choice Awards: Skis, Bindings, Boots, Snowboards
LANGE XT 130
$800 – LANGESKIBOOTS.COM
WEIGHT/PAIR: 9LBS. 9OZ.
SIZES (CM): 24.5-31.5
+ “Skis like a Lange. Great fit for a wide variety for feet.”
- “The boot keeps you in an upright position.”
= The XT 130 is a champion for resort-based adventure and roadside attractions.
TECNICA COCHISE 90 WOMEN
WEIGHT/PAIR: 8LBS. 5OZ.
SIZES (CM): 22-27.5
+ “This boot feels like a fluffy slipper, but performs with stout authority.”
- “Hard to get into the front of the boot to drive them.”
= A tour-friendly, freeride contender that adeptly balances power and comfort.
BLACK DIAMOND QUADRANT
WEIGHT/PAIR: 7LBS. 9OZ.
SIZES (CM): 24-30.5
+ “I could spend all day in this boot. Super light, super smooth.”
- “Tough to get in and out of.”
= The Quadrant is Black Diamond’s dependable universal soldier.
WEIGHT / PAIR: 7LBS. 2OZ.
SIZES (CM): 22.5 – 31.5
+ “They are über light, and still a top performance-driven boot.”
- “A bit of a math problem to get on and off.”
= A light, capable boot for whatever you want to ski.
BLACK DIAMOND PUSH
WEIGHT/PAIR: 8LBS. 10OZ.
SIZES (CM): 24-30.5
+ “User friendly and comfortable out of the box.”
- “A bit sloppy laterally at times. Seems to turn a moment after asked.”
= Climbing or skiing, the Push is the top all-around option—again.
SCARPA TERMINATOR X
WEIGHT/PAIR: 7LBS. 2OZ.
SIZES (CM): 22.5-30
+ “The solid heel pocket really sucks you in and makes for a great fit for touring.”
- “A little soft at the bellows—a slow boot transitioning between turns.”
= Pair it with the Freedom for the best-touring NTN rig available.
$699 – GARMONTUSA.COM
SIZES (CM): 23-27.5
+ “A perfect, even flex…strong but not too stiff. A great match for the Freedom binder.”
- “These don’t fit like my old Garmonts! When did they get so narrow?”
= Smooth flexing and powerful. A great touring boot.
SCARPA MAESTRALE RS
$699 – SCARPA.COM
WEIGHT/PAIR: 6LBS. 14OZ.
SIZES (CM): 24.5-32
+ “An alpha male boot with a weight-to-power ratio that will keep you at the front of the pack heading up or down.”
- “The Lamborghini-door-style opening of the tongue looks cooler than it operates.”
= If you split your time 50/50 between resort and bc tours, the Maestrale RS is the ideal one-and-done boot.